Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

My parents divorced when I was 4 years old. When my father left my mother, he also left his children. He chose not to talk to me for the last 2 years of his life. He died when I was in college. My mother has always been both parents for me. I always call her and wish her a happy father's day.

When Win and I had started having children I for the first time had a picture of what a two parent home looks like and what a father looks like. Win is hard on himself when it comes to his parenting but to me is the best. He truly lives out Deuteronomy 6 in front of his children. He is always training them in righteousness. He loves our children and our children love him. Back in March Win was gone for 2 weeks and both boys commented that they missed him a great deal and don't like for him to be gone. This is all so strange to me and yet so wonderful to watch. I find myself enving my children.

Since I never really lived with a man, except my brothers, I had no idea what it was like to live with a man in the house. I had bitterness toward my father for all of childhood (none now, dealt with it) I was scared of men and didn't really like to be around them and often wondered if other men really loved their families and their wives. After living with Win for 21 years, I can say that yes, men do love their families and wives.

So, thank you Win for being a wonderful husband and father. I am grateful that our children have the privilege and the calling to be your children.

No comments: