Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Running -its all in the mind

Last week in my interval training I was suppose to end the week by running 2 1/4 mile straight without stopping. I came up short. I told myself it was OK but I didn't feel good about me giving up. Then on Saturday I was so busy I couldn't make it to the Y until after 3. I had to go to a different Y and it was hot and smelly and the machine was nothing to write home about. I only ran a mile then and then walk the rest of the way. Again, I talked myself into stopping.

So, on Monday, with Deana being out of town, I talked Win into going with me to the Y. He pushed me along and I ran the 2 1/4 mile. I was suppose to run 2 1/2. So today, he was with me but only for a little while. He had to go up to the North Alabama for a case. I began my run by telling myself that I can do the 2 1/4 mile. And if I really pushed myself I can do another .25 of a mile and I will have ran 2 1/2. A girl that we exercise with came in and I told her not to let me stop running.

I ran 2 1/2 mile.

Just as I was about to finish up my run/walk the girl who had helped me said she needed me to run her last .25 with her so she would not stop. Of course, I wanted to help her. But as we were finishing up and I started to stop (I actually did stop running and started walking) I told myself again I couldn't do another .25. And then I realized that YES I can do another .25. And that would make my run/walk a total of 5 miles. So I sped up the treadmill and off I ran. My friend ran it with me.

I ran a total of 3 miles this morning. That is a 5K. I still am in shock.

So much of this running and exercise is the things you tell yourself. You can talk yourself into anything. Into sinning, into overeating, into running, into quiting something that is hard.

It is always better to talk to yourself more than you listen to yourself. So talk yourself into doing what you should do and don't listen to yourself tell you that you can't do something.

No comments: