Thursday, December 25, 2008

Traditions

I grew up being raised by my mother. My parents divorced when I was 4 years old and my mother went to work. She worked most Christmas' while I was growing up and so my brother and I often spent that day at home. I have 5 siblings but by the time I was in elementary school the olders ones were all out of the house. We would open presents before Mother went to work and then Rip. my youngest brother and I were left on our own.

So, when Win and I started our life together, we want to really start some traditions. The first 5 years of our marriages were spent traveling on or around Christmas day. The first 2 Christmas' we were stationed in Clovis, New Mexico and we came to Alabama for Christmas. The next 3 Christmas' were spent in Izmir, Turkey. The last Christmas we were in Turkey we decided to go see some friends in Germany. We flew there on Christmas day.

Then came children after 5 years of marriage. We now celebrate Christmas by having Advent each night leading up to Christmas. On Christmas morning we have to have Advent and light the Christ candle before any presents can be opened. We also spend Christmas Eve by going to church and have a meal here. My menagerie like for me to make a Pork Tenderloin, Rice Pilaf and Broccoli. We did that last night.

We have a meal with each side of the family at some point. Tonight Win's family and tomorrow my family.

I love the traditions we have made for our children. They love the traditions. I was thinking yesterday about these traditions and wondered what my children will carry with them to their families one day.

Merry Christmas.

No comments: