Saturday, September 12, 2009

Saturdays

What do you do an Saturdays?

At the Johnson house we do chores mainly. Win always works now that he is in private practice. This weekend he is doing his weekend Reserve duty. This is his last weekend at this assignment. He is moving to another job and will no longer be doing the weekend thing.

I have given each child chores to do. Some are to be done each day and some each week. This month is William's month to do the trash. He handles that each day. This is his month to clean the bathrooms. He is also in charge of the yard and he gives Davis and Anna jobs to do in the yard. We have given him full charge of the yard and the other children have to follow his orders when it comes to the yard.

This is Davis' month to clean out the litter boxes. He has to do them daily. This is his month to vacuum the entire house. This is done weekly.

Both he and William share a room and they both clean it up each week. They share the kitchen duties as well and alternate each night of the week. On Sundays I or Win do the dishes.

Anna has her room to keep clean, she dust and cleans the glass doors and she picks up around the house.

William also has Youth Smpthony on Saturday mornings. It is his job to get his chores done and be at this practice. This year Anna is swimming with a year round swim team and she can swim on Saturday mornings. So that has to be factored into our day. Last week I took her and I worked out at the YMCA while she swam.

I have explained to my boys that doing these jobs is not "woman's work" but it is teaching them to do a job well and be proud of their work.

We also pay our children an allowance and if any of their jobs are neglected then we will deduct from their allowance. This way we are teaching them the value of a dollar, how to save, spend and give. Plus they see that with work comes reward.

You might ask - what do you do Beth? Well, I cook, shop, mop and I do all the laudry. And I have to admit, I am additicted to working out and I do that 6 days a week.

I don't ask Win to do much around the house. He works so much. He is in charge of the pool and keeping our money straight.

So, what do you do on Saturday's?

2 comments:

M.K. said...

Well... since you asked! I sleep a little bit later than usual, make pancakes from scratch, go to the local farmers' market, Salvation Army, and another resale store, come home for lunch, usually do laundry and often vacuum, occasionally do yard work, practice the piano for Sunday morning church, make homemade pizza for supper, and watch a show on Netflix with my hubby.

Beth Johnson said...

MK,
Your list makes me as tired as my list makes me. But it does sound enjoyable.

I was watching a program on Hoarders and it made me get up and get my chores done right away.

I love going to church on Sunday knowing our house is clean and the laundry is done.

Beth